URTC 1923 wood reefers leased to Miller Brewing Co
The Union Refrigerator Transit Company, originally formed in 1890 by the Schlitz brewing interests, became the Union Refrigerator Transit Lines of Milwaulkee
(URTC) in 1903, starting with a eet of 1,700 cars. In 1929 it was acquired by General American Tank Car Company, with the eet now totaling 5,000 40’ wood
cars, mostly built by American Car & Foundry. The new company continued to operate as a separate subsidairy of GATC, (now General American Transportation
Corporation) adding 1,500 additional cars built by GATC for a total of 6,500 cars. The shipment of beer accounted for a substantial part of its business, with many
of its cars leased to independent shippers such as Miller Brewing, Goetz, Blatz, Pabst and many others. Also included were dairy shippers such as Bordens, Kraft
and Carnation. URTC also provided refrigerated car services to a number of railroads: the Milwaulkee Road, SOO Line, Minneapolis & St. Louis, Nickel Plate and
Chicago Great Western. In July 1934, the use of billboard signage on refrigerator cars was outlawed by the ICC for a multitude of reasons, mostly as a result of
complaints and resentment between the shippers themselves, and the colorful cars were seen no more.
Paint & Lettering: Car sides and side ladders painted reefer orange/yellow (50/50 mix); mineral red roof, end ladders and ends. Underframe, end beams, corner
straps, door hinges, lock bar and kickplate coated with black car cement. Reporting marks black; billboard lettering varied. Here seen in red on URTC 93194
and black on 93185. Specify either red or black when ordering.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet