lettering set for Burlington subsidiary Ft Worth & Denver wood reefers
In May 1929, the Burlington Refrigerator Express was incorporated under reporting marks BREX to become one of 19 roads to join the Fruit Growers Express
consortium. Parent, CB&Q, moved 2,659 wood reefers to the BREX, built in 1922-23 by Pullman 35200-35599 and AC&F 35600-35999. These were renumbered
into Series 74400-75999 to keep them separate from their subsidiaries C&S (50050-50249) and FD&W (20001-20100). The consortium adopted the new 7” and
9” “Optic” lettering style applied in black stencil paste.
Sides were painted yellow with a touch of red in it; ends, fascia board, toe kick and roof were painted freight car red, with underbody coated in black car
cement. Later, roofs varied between red, silver and towards the end of service, car side yellow. BREX had as it’s primary repair and reweigh station in
Plattsmounth, Nebraska (PLT), but cars were serviced at the FEGX’s 5 other service facilities as convenient: ALX, HAM, IH, ATL, and JAX, plus HIL for WFEX’s
Hillyard, Washington facility.
Of the 19 partners, only Burlington and Great Northern displayed their herald on the sides of their respective cars.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet